Sunday, March 31, 2013

Changing Course

I've jumped into the deep end of a pool and don't know how to swim.  Luckily, Lorrie is there to help and steer me to the shallow end.  It is much more to my level of skill.  We discovered four large boxes of slides that Mom would like to have scanned.  Now wouldn't your first thought be shoe boxes?  That's what I thought they would be, but NO.  They are large boxes that have many shoe boxes inside of them.  We looked inside one large box and the smaller boxes inside it had carousels inside them.  And they weren't even full of slides.  Now the project looks more manageable.  But still...it is going to be a job.  Lorrie took them all and is going to do them as a Mother's Day gift to Mom this year.  All I can say is....Not Fair!  What am I going to do now? 

As it is, Lorrie and I decided that we just have too much to do to really get into the swing of doing genealogy work.  It isn't that our momentum is gone....well, maybe it is.  We have agreed that we need more of a plan and last night came to the conclusion that we would narrow our focus.  First we need to archive what we already have.  That could take us a year to do.  And I don't know if I could get all of Debbie's material copied in that amount of time.  She has so much.  AND, I really need to get comfortable with technology more and be more informed about research.

OH, and guess what I did today.  I (yes, me), all by myself, figured out how to move files into a new folder I created.  I took a guess how to do it, figuring Anna could fix it if I was wrong, and it worked.  My next plan is to inventory everything I have on my drives and cross-check them with Lorrie later to make sure we each have everything from each other.  Did that make sense?  Then we need to make sure we have a log of what we get done for other family members so we aren't making so many duplicates of everything. 

I also want to become more knowledgeable about taking and downloading pictures.  I want a smart phone so I can take pictures and share and log information and access other things that are hard for me to even imagine right now.  How do I make my brain sharper so I can comprehend better?  Is it just a matter of practice?  My brain already hurts just to think about it.  My brain needs some chocolate.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment